side controller. TEA19362T Datasheet
GreenChip SMPS primary side control IC with fixed frequency
Rev. 1 — 9 August 2016
Product data sheet
1 General description
The TEA19362T is a member of the GreenChip family of controller ICs for switched
mode power supplies. It is intended for flyback topologies to be used either standalone
or together with smart charging controllers (like the TEA190x series) at the secondary
side. It also offers improved compatibility with touch-screens. The built-in green functions
provide high efficiency at all power levels.
The TEA19362T is compatible with smart charging applications that require fixed-
frequency operation. Fixed-frequency operation minimizes Common-Mode Noise (CMN)
and optimizes spectral purity towards the (mobile) touch screens. When used with a
secondary-side controller IC, like the TEA190x series, it supports Constant Current (CC)
mode down to 3 V output voltage.
At high power levels, the flyback can operate in Boundary Conduction Mode (BCM)
depending on application components. For lowest CMN and highest spectral purity,
the TEA19362T can be set to full Discontinuous Conduction Mode (DCM) operation.
Switch-on, based on demagnetization sensing, enables steady operation at a constant
frequency. In this way, a cleaner CMN spectrum is achieved.
At very low power levels, the controller uses burst mode to regulate the output power.
A special optocoupler current reduction regulation has been integrated which reduces
the average optocurrent in all modes to a minimum level. This reduction ensures high
efficiency at low power and excellent no-load power performance. As the switching
frequency in this mode equals the nominal frequency (fsw) and the burst repetition rate is
regulated to a fixed value, spectral purity is preserved and output ripple is limited. During
the non-switching phase of the burst mode, the internal IC supply current is minimized for
further efficiency optimization.
The TEA19362T includes a wide set of protections that are safe-restart protections. One
of these protections is an accurate OverPower Protection (OPP). If the output is shorted,
the system stops switching and restarts. The output power is then limited to a lower level.
The TEA19362T is manufactured in a high-voltage Silicon-On-Insulator (SOI) process.
The SOI process combines the advantages of a low-voltage process (accuracy, high-
speed protection, functions, and control). However, it also maintains the high-voltage
capabilities (high-voltage start-up, low standby power, and brownin/brownout sensing at
The TEA19362T enables low-cost, highly efficient and reliable supplies for power
requirements up to 75 W using a minimum number of external components.
GreenChip SMPS primary side control IC with fixed frequency operation
2 Features and benefits
2.1 General features
• SMPS controller IC supporting smart-charging applications and multiple-output-voltage
• Wide output range (5 V to 20 V in CV mode, 3 V to 20 V in CC mode, and 3 V to 6 V in
direct charging mode)
• Fixed-frequency operation suited for mobile charger applications that require low CMN
distortion and high spectral purity
• Housed in a small SO10 package
• Adaptive dual supply for highest efficiency over the entire output voltage range
• Integrated high-voltage start-up
• Continuous VCC regulation during start-up and protection via the HV pin, allowing a
minimum VCC capacitor value
• Reduced optocurrent enabling low no-load power (20 mW at 5 V output)
• Fast transient response from 0 to full load
• Minimal output voltage ripple in all operating modes
• Integrated soft start
2.2 Green features
Enables high efficiency operation over a wide power range via:
• Low supply current during normal operation (0.6 mA without load)
• Low supply current during non-switching state in burst mode (0.25 mA)
• Demagnetization switching for minimum switching losses
2.3 Protection features
All protections are safe-restart protections.
• Mains voltage compensated OverPower Protection (OPP)
• OverTemperature Protection (OTP)
• Integrated overpower time-out
• Integrated restart timer for system fault conditions
• Continuous mode protection using demagnetization detection
• Accurate OverVoltage Protection (OVP)
• General-purpose input for safe restart protection; for use with system OverTemperature
• Driver maximum on-time protection
• Brownin and brownout protection
• Battery chargers for smart phones and media tablets
• Battery chargers for mobile devices with touchpad display
Product data sheet
All information provided in this document is subject to legal disclaimers.
Rev. 1 — 9 August 2016
© NXP Semiconductors N.V. 2016. All rights reserved.
2 / 34