The Future of Analog IC Technology
2A, 24V Input, 600kHz
2-3 Cell Switching Li-Ion Battery Charger
With System Power Path Management
The MP2618 is a monolithic switching charger
for 2-3 cell Li-Ion battery packs with a built-in
internal power MOSFET. It achieves up to 2A
charge current with current mode control for
fast loop response and easy compensation.
The charge current can be programmed by
sensing the current through an accurate sense
MP2618 regulates the charge voltage and
charge current using two control loops to realize
high accuracy CC charge and CV charge.
The system power path management function
ensures continuous supply to the system by
automatically selecting the input or the battery.
Power path management separates charging
current from system load. When the MP2618
realizes current sharing of the input current,
charge current will drop down according to the
increase of the system current.
Fault condition protection includes cycle-by-cycle
current limiting, and thermal shutdown. Other
safety features include battery temperature
monitoring, charge status indication and
programmable timer to cease the charging cycle.
The MP2618 is available in a 28-pin, 4mmx5mm
• Charges 2-3 cell Li-Ion battery packs
• Wide Operating Input Range
• Up to 2A Programmable Charging Current
• Power Path Management with Current
• ±0.75% VBATT Accuracy
• 0.28Ω Internal Power MOSFET Switch
• Up to 90% Efficiency
• Fixed 600kHz Frequency
• Preconditioning for fully depleted batteries
• Charging Operation Indicator
• Input Supply and battery fault indicator
• Thermal Shutdown
• Cycle-by-Cycle Over Current Protection
• Battery Temperature Monitor and Protection
• Netbook PC
• Distributed Power Systems
• Chargers for 2-Cell or 3-Cell Li-Ion
• Pre-Regulator for Linear Regulators
“MPS” and “The Future of Analog IC Technology” are Registered Trademarks
of Monolithic Power Systems, Inc.
MP2618 Rev. 0.92
MPS Proprietary Information. Unauthorized Photocopy and Duplication Prohibited.
© 2010 MPS. All Rights Reserved.