1.5 A Adjustable Output,
Positive Voltage Regulator
The LM317 is an adjustable 3−terminal positive voltage regulator
capable of supplying in excess of 1.5 A over an output voltage range of
1.2 V to 37 V. This voltage regulator is exceptionally easy to use and
requires only two external resistors to set the output voltage. Further, it
employs internal current limiting, thermal shutdown and safe area
compensation, making it essentially blow−out proof.
The LM317 serves a wide variety of applications including local, on
card regulation. This device can also be used to make a programmable
output regulator, or by connecting a fixed resistor between the
adjustment and output, the LM317 can be used as a precision current
• Output Current in Excess of 1.5 A
• Output Adjustable between 1.2 V and 37 V
• Internal Thermal Overload Protection
• Internal Short Circuit Current Limiting Constant with Temperature
• Output Transistor Safe−Area Compensation
• Floating Operation for High Voltage Applications
• Eliminates Stocking many Fixed Voltages
• Available in Surface Mount D2PAK−3, and Standard 3−Lead
• NCV Prefix for Automotive and Other Applications Requiring
Unique Site and Control Change Requirements; AEC−Q100
Qualified and PPAP Capable
• These Devices are Pb−Free, Halogen Free/BFR Free and are RoHS
Heatsink surface (shown as terminal 4 in
case outline drawing) is connected to Pin 2.
Pin 1. Adjust
Heatsink surface connected to Pin 2.
See detailed ordering and shipping information in the package
dimensions section on page 10 of this data sheet.
DEVICE MARKING INFORMATION
See general marking information in the device marking
section on page 10 of this data sheet.
** Cin is required if regulator is located an appreciable distance from power supply filter.
** CO is not needed for stability, however, it does improve transient response.
ǒ ǓVout + 1.25 V
) IAdj R2
Since IAdj is controlled to less than 100 mA, the error associated with this term is
negligible in most applications.
Figure 1. Standard Application
© Semiconductor Components Industries, LLC, 2016
February, 2019 − Rev. 16
Publication Order Number: