MOS INTEGRATED CIRCUIT
µPD784927, 784928, 784927Y, 784928Y
16-BIT SINGLE-CHIP MICROCONTROLLER
The µPD784927 and 784928 are members of the NEC 78K/IV Series of microcontrollers equipped with a high-
speed, high-performance 16-bit CPU for VCR software servo control.
The µPD784927Y and 784928Y are based on the µPD784928 with the addition of an I2C bus interface compatible
They contain many peripheral hardware units ideal for VCR control, such as a multi-function timer unit (super timer
unit) for software servo control and VCR analog circuits.
Flash memory models, the µPD78F4928 and µPD78F4928Y, are under development.
The functions of the µPD784927 is described in detail in the following User’s Manual. Be sure to read this
manual before designing your system.
µPD784928, 784928Y Subseries User’s Manual - Hardware
78K/IV Series User’s Manual - Instruction
• High instruction execution speed realized by 16-bit CPU core
• Minimum instruction execution time: 250 ns (with 8 MHz internal clock)
• High internal memory capacity
Part Number µPD784927, 784927Y µPD784928, 784928Y
Internal ROM capacity
Internal RAM capacity
• VCR analog circuits conforming to VHS Standard
• CTL amplifier
• DFG amplifier
• Reel FG comparator (2 channels)
• RECCTL driver (rewritable) • DPG amplifier
• CSYNC comparator
• CFG amplifier
• DPFG separation circuit (ternary separation circuit)
• Timer unit (super timer unit) for servo control
• Serial interface : 3 channels
• 3-wire serial I/O : 2 channels
• I2C bus interface: 1 channel
• A/D converter: 12 channels (conversion time: 10 µs)
• Low-frequency oscillation mode: main system clock frequency = internal clock frequency
• Low-power consumption mode: CPU can operate with a subsystem clock.
• Supply voltage range: VDD = +2.7 to 5.5 V
• Hardware watch function: watch operation at low voltage (VDD = 2.7 V (MIN.)) and low current consumption
Unless otherwise specified, the µPD784927 is treated as the representative model throughout this document.
The information in this document is subject to change without notice. Before using this document, please
confirm that this is the latest version.
Not all devices/types available in every country. Please check with local NEC representative for availability
and additional information.
Document No. U12255EJ2V0DS00 (2nd edition)
Date Published December 1999 N CP(K)
Printed in Japan
The mark shows major revised points.