Low Noise/Low Power/2-Wire Bus
September 19, 2005
Quad Digitally Controlled (XDCP™)
• Four potentiometers in one package
• 64 resistor taps per potentiometer
• 2-wire serial interface
• Wiper resistance, 40Ω typical at 5V
• Four nonvolatile data registers for each pot
• Nonvolatile storage of wiper position
• Standby current < 1µA max (total package)
• VCC = 2.7V to 5.5V operation
V+ = 2.7V to 5.5V
V- = –2.7V to -5.5V
• 10kΩ, 2.5kΩ end to end resistances
• High reliability
—Endurance–100,000 data changes per bit per
—Register data retention–100 years
• 24 Ld SOIC, 24 Ld TSSOP, 24 Ld PDIP packages
• Pb-free plus anneal available (RoHS compliant)
The X9408 integrates four digitally controlled
potentiometers (XDCP) on a monolithic CMOS
The digital controlled potentiometer is implemented
using 63 resistive elements in a series array. Between
each element are tap points connected to the wiper
terminal through switches. The position of the wiper on
the array is controlled by the user through the 2-wire
bus interface. Each potentiometer has associated with
it a volatile Wiper Counter Register (WCR) and four
non-volatile Data Registers that can be directly written
to and read by the user. The contents of the WCR
controls the position of the wiper on the resistor array
though the switches. Powerup recalls the contents of
the default data register (DR0) to the WCR.
The XDCP can be used as a three-terminal
potentiometer or as a two terminal variable resistor in
a wide variety of applications including control,
parameter adjustments, and signal processing.
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 | Intersil (and design) is a registered trademark of Intersil Americas Inc.
XDCP is a trademark of Intersil Americas Inc. Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2005. All Rights Reserved
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.