Pressure Sensor. MPX4200A Datasheet
+ Integrated Silicon Pressure Sensor
for Manifold Absolute Pressure,
Applications, On-Chip Signal
Compensated and Calibrated
The Freescale MPX4200A series Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
sensor for turbo boost engine control is designed to sense absolute air
pressure within the intake manifold. This measurement can be used to
compute the amount of fuel required for each cylinder.
The MPX4200A series sensor integrates on-chip, bipolar op amp circuitry
and thin film resistor networks to provide a high level analog output signal and
temperature compensation. The small form factor and reliability of on-chip
integration make the Freescale MAP sensor a logical and economical choice
for automotive system designers.
• Specifically Designed for Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensing in
Engine Control Systems
• Patented Silicon Shear Stress Strain Gauge
• Temperature Compensated Over –40° to +125°C
• Offers Reduction in Weight and Volume Compared to Existing Hybrid
• Durable Epoxy Unibody Element
Rev 4, 1/2009
20 to 200 kPa (2.9 to 29 psi)
0.3 to 4.9 V Output
• Manifold Sensing for Automotive
• Ideally suited for Microprocessor or
• Also ideal for Non-Automotive
# of Ports
None Single Dual
© Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., 2006-2009. All rights reserved.
Table 1. Operating Characteristics (VS = 5.1 Vdc, TA = 25°C unless otherwise noted, P1 > P2.
Decoupling circuit shown in Figure 3 required to meet electrical specifications.)
Minimum Pressure Offset @ VS = 5.1 Volts(3)
Full Scale Output @ VS = 5.1 Volts(4)
Full Scale Span @ VS = 5.1 Volts(5)
(0 to 85°C)
(0 to 85°C)
(0 to 85°C)
(0 to 85°C)
Output Source Current at Full Scale Output
1. 1.0 kPa (kiloPascal) equals 0.145 psi.
2. Device is ratiometric within this specified excitation range.
3. Offset (Voff) is defined as the output voltage at the minimum rated pressure.
4. Full Scale Output (VFSO) is defined as the output voltage at the maximum or full rated pressure.
5. Full Scale Span (VFSS) is defined as the algebraic difference between the output voltage at full rated pressure and the output voltage at the
minimum rated pressure.
6. Accuracy (error budget) consists of the following:
Output deviation from a straight line relationship with pressure over the specified pressure range.
Temperature Hysteresis: Output deviation at any temperature within the operating temperature range, after the temperature is cycled to
and from the minimum or maximum operating temperature points, with zero differential pressure applied.
Output deviation at any pressure within the specified range, when this pressure is cycled to and from the
minimum or maximum rated pressure, at 25°C.
Output deviation over the temperature range of 0 to 85°C, relative to 25°C.
Output deviation with minimum rated pressure applied, over the temperature range of 0 to 85°C, relative to 25°C.
Variation from Nominal: The variation from nominal values, for Offset or Full Scale Span, as a percent of VFSS, at 25°C.
7. Response Time is defined as the time for the incremental change in the output to go from 10% to 90% of its final value when subjected to
a specified step change in pressure.
8. Warm-up Time is defined as the time required for the product to meet the specified output voltage after the Pressure has been stabilized.
9. Offset Stability is the product's output deviation when subjected to 1000 hours of Pulsed Pressure, Temperature Cycling with Bias Test.