Pressure Sensor. MPXAZ4100A Datasheet
Rev 1, 05/2005
Integrated Silicon Pressure Sensor
for Manifold Absolute Pressure
Applications On-Chip Signal
Compensated and Calibrated
The Freescale MPXAZ4100A series Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
sensor for engine control is designed to sense absolute air pressure within the
intake manifold. This measurement can be used to compute the amount of fuel
required for each cylinder. The small form factor and high reliability of on-chip
integration makes the Freescale MAP sensor a logical and economical choice for
automotive system designers.
The MPXAZ4100A series piezoresistive transducer is a state-of-the-art,
monolithic, signal conditioned, silicon pressure sensor. This sensor combines
advanced micromachining techniques, thin film metallization, and bipolar
semiconductor processing to provide an accurate, high level analog output signal
that is proportional to applied pressure.
Figure 1 shows a block diagram of the internal circuitry integrated on a
pressure sensor chip.
• Resistant to high humidity and common automotive media
• 1.8% Maximum Error Over 0° to 85°C
• Specifically Designed for Intake Manifold Absolute
Pressure Sensing in Engine Control Systems
• Ideally Suited for Microprocessor or Microcontroller Based Systems
• Temperature Compensated Over –40°C to +125°C
• Durable Thermoplastic (PPS) Surface Mount Package
• Manifold Sensing for Automotive Systems
• Also Ideal for Non-Automotive Applications
SMALL OUTLINE PACKAGE (MPXAZ4100A SERIES)
Elements Element Only
482 MPXAZ4100A6T1 Tape & Reel MPXAZ4100A
Ported Absolute, Axial 482A MPXAZ4100AC6U
Absolute, Axial 482A MPXAZ4100AC6T1 Tape & Reel MPXAZ4100A
20 TO 105 kPA (2.9 TO 15.2 psi)
0.3 TO 4.9 V OUTPUT
SMALL OUTLINE PACKAGES
1 N/C 5 N/C
2 VS 6
3 GND 7
4 VOUT 8
1. Pins 1, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are internal device
connections. Do not connect to external
circuitry or ground. Pin 1 is noted by the
notch in the lead.
© Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., 2005. All rights reserved.
Gain Stage #1
Gain Stage #2
GND Pins 1, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are NO CONNECTS
for small outline package devices.
Figure 1. Fully Integrated Pressure Sensor Schematic
Table 1. Maximum Ratings(1)
Maximum Pressure (P1 > P2)
–40 to +125
TA –40 to +125
1. Exposure beyond the specified limits may cause permanent damage or degradation to the device.