±60V Fault Protected, 5V, RS-485/RS-422 Transceivers
with ±25V CMR and ESD Protection
ISL32490E, ISL32492E, ISL32493E, ISL32495E, ISL32496E,
The ISL32490E, ISL32492E, ISL32493E, ISL32495E,
ISL32496E, ISL32498E are fault protected, 5V powered,
differential transceivers that exceed the RS-485 and RS-422
standards for balanced communication. The RS-485 transceiver
pins (driver outputs and receiver inputs) are fault protected up to
±60V and are protected against ±16.5kV ESD strikes without
latch-up. Additionally, the extended common mode range allows
these transceivers to operate in environments with common
mode voltages up to ±25V (>2x the RS-485 requirement),
making this fault protected RS-485 family one of the most
robust on the market.
Transmitters (Tx) deliver an exceptional 2.5V (typical)
differential output voltage into the RS-485 specified 54Ω load.
This yields better noise immunity than standard RS-485 ICs or
allows up to six 120Ω terminations in star network topologies.
• Fault Protected RS-485 Bus Pins . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Up to ±60V
• Extended Common Mode Range . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ±25V
More than Twice the Range Required for RS-485
• ±16.5kV HBM ESD Protection on RS-485 Bus Pins
• 1/4 Unit Load for Up to 128 Devices on the Bus
• High Transient Overvoltage Tolerance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ±80V
• Full Fail-Safe (Open, Short, Terminated) RS-485 Receivers
• High Rx IOL for Opto-Couplers in Isolated Designs
• Hot Plug Circuitry; Tx and Rx Outputs Remain Three-State
• Choice of RS-485 Data Rates. . . . . . . . . 250kbps to 15Mbps
Receiver (Rx) inputs feature a “Full Fail-Safe” design that
ensures a logic high Rx output if Rx inputs are floating, shorted,
or on a terminated but undriven (idle) bus. Rx outputs have high
drive levels; typically, 15mA @ VOL = 1V (for opto-coupled,
Half duplex (Rx inputs and Tx outputs multiplexed together)
and full duplex pinouts are available. See Table 1 on page 2 for
key features and configurations by device number.
For fault protected or wide common mode range RS-485
transceivers with cable invert (polarity reversal) pins, please
see the ISL32483E data sheet.
• Low Quiescent Supply Current . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.3mA
• Ultra Low Shutdown Supply Current . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10µA
• Utility Meters/Automated Meter Reading Systems
• High Node Count RS-485 Systems
• PROFIBUS™ and RS-485 Based Field Bus Networks, and
• Security Camera Networks
• Building Lighting and Environmental Control Systems
• Industrial/Process Control Networks
VID = ±1V
FIGURE 1. EXCEPTIONAL Rx OPERATES AT >15Mbps EVEN WITH
A ±25V COMMON MODE VOLTAGE
FIGURE 2. ISL3249xE DELIVERS SUPERIOR COMMON MODE
RANGE vs STANDARD RS-485 DEVICES
March 16, 2012
CAUTION: These devices are sensitive to electrostatic discharge; follow proper IC Handling Procedures.
1-888-INTERSIL or 1-888-468-3774 |Copyright Intersil Americas Inc. 2011, 2012. All Rights Reserved
Intersil (and design) is a trademark owned by Intersil Corporation or one of its subsidiaries.
All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Free Datasheet http://www.datasheet4u.com/