Off-Line Switcher. TNY284K Datasheet
(TNY284 - TNY290) Off-Line Switcher
|Total Page||26 Pages|
Energy-Efficient, Off-Line Switcher with
Line Compensated Overload Power
Lowest System Cost with Enhanced Flexibility
• 725 V rated MOSFET
• Increases BV de-rating margin
• Line compensated overload power – no additional components
• Dramatically reduces max overload variation over universal input
• ±5% turn on UV threshold: line voltage sense with single external
• Simple ON/OFF control, no loop compensation needed
• Selectable current limit through BP/M capacitor value
• Higher current limit extends peak power or, in open frame
applications, maximum continuous power
• Lower current limit improves efficiency in enclosed adapters/
• Allows optimum TinySwitch™-4 choice by swapping devices with
no other circuit redesign
• Tight I2f parameter tolerance reduces system cost
• Maximizes MOSFET and magnetics utilization
• ON-time extension – extends low-line regulation range/hold-up time
to reduce input bulk capacitance
• Self-biased: no bias winding or bias components
• Frequency jittering reduces EMI filter costs
• Pin-out simplifies heat sinking to the PCB
• SOURCE pins are electrically quiet for low EMI
Enhanced Safety and Reliability Features
• Accurate hysteretic thermal shutdown protection with automatic
recovery eliminates need for manual reset
• Auto-restart delivers <3% of maximum power in short-circuit and
open loop fault conditions
• Output overvoltage shutdown with optional Zener
• Fast AC reset with optional UV external resistor
• Very low component count enhances reliability and enables
single-sided printed circuit board layout
• High bandwidth provides fast turn-on with no overshoot and
excellent transient load response
• Extended creepage between DRAIN and all other pins improves field
EcoSmart™– Extremely Energy Efficient
• Easily meets all global energy efficiency regulations
• No-load <30 mW with bias winding, <150 mW at 265 VAC without
• ON/OFF control provides constant efficiency down to very light loads
– ideal for mandatory CEC regulations and EuP standby requirements
• PC Standby and other auxiliary supplies
• DVD/PVR and other low power set top decoders
• Supplies for appliances, industrial systems, metering, etc
• Chargers/adapters for cell/cordless phones, PDAs, digital cameras,
MP3/portable audio, shavers, etc.
Figure 1. Typical Standby Application.
SO-8C (D Package)
DIP-8C (P Package)
Figure 2. Package Options.
eSOP-12B (K Package)
Output Power Table
230 VAC ± 15%
Table 1. Output Power Table.
1. Minimum continuous power in a typical non-ventilated enclosed adapter
measured at +50 °C ambient. Use of an external heat sink will increase power
2. Minimum peak power capability in any design or minimum continuous power
in an open frame design (see Key Applications Considerations).
3. Packages: P: DIP-8C, D: SO-8C, K: eSOP-12B. See Part Ordering Information.
This Product is Covered by Patents and/or Pending Patent Applications.
1.0 V + VT
Figure 3. Functional Block Diagram.
Pin Functional Description
DRAIN (D) Pin:
This pin is the power MOSFET drain connection. It provides internal
operating current for both start-up and steady-state operation.
BYPASS/MULTI-FUNCTION (BP/M) Pin:
This pin has multiple functions:
• It is the connection point for an external bypass capacitor for the
internally generated 5.85 V supply.
• It is a mode selector for the current limit value, depending on the
value of the capacitance added. Use of a 0.1 μF capacitor results
in the standard current limit value. Use of a 1 μF capacitor results
in the current limit being reduced to that of the next smaller device
size. Use of a 10 μF capacitor results in the current limit being
increased to that of the next larger device size for TNY285-290.
• It provides a shutdown function. When the current into the bypass
pin exceeds ISD, the device latches off until the BP/M voltage
drops below 4.9 V, during a power-down or, when the UV function
is employed with external resistors connected to the BP/UV pin, by
taking the UV/EN pin current below IUV minus the reset hysteresis
(Typ. 18.75 μA). This can be used to provide an output overvolt-
age function with a Zener connected from the BYPASS/MULTI-
FUNCTIONAL pin to a bias winding supply.
D Package (SO-8C)
5 S P Package (DIP-8C)
Exposed Pad (On Bottom)
Internally Connected to
Figure 4. Pin Configuration.
Rev. D 08/16
|Features||Datasheet pdf TNY284-290 TinySwitch™-4 Family Energy -Efficient, Off-Line Switcher with Line Compensated Overload Power Product Hi ghlights Lowest System Cost with Enhanc ed Flexibility • 725 V rated MOSFET • Increases BV de-rating margin • Line compensated overload power – no additional components • Dramaticall y reduces max overload variation over u niversal input voltage range • ±5% turn on UV threshold: line voltage sens e with single external resistor • Si mple ON/OFF control, no loop compensati on needed • Selectable current limit through BP/M capacitor value • High er current limit extends peak power or, in open frame applications, maximum co ntinuous power • Lower current limit improves efficiency in enclosed adapte rs/ chargers • Allows optimum TinySw itch-4 choice by swapping devices with no other circuit redesign • Tight I2 f parameter tolerance reduces system co st • Maximizes MOSFET and magnetics utilization • ON-time extension – extends low-line regulation range/hold-up time to reduce .|
|Keywords||TNY284K, datasheet, pdf, Power Integrations, TNY284, -, TNY290, Off-Line, Switcher, NY284K, Y284K, 284K, TNY284, TNY28, TNY2, Equivalent, stock, pinout, distributor, price, schematic, inventory, databook, Electronic, Components, Parameters, parts, cross reference, chip, Semiconductor, circuit, Electric, manual, substitute|