PROTECTION IC. S-8242 Datasheet
BATTERY PROTECTION IC
FOR 2-SERIAL-CELL PACK
The S-8242 Series are protection ICs for 2-serial-cell
lithium-ion/lithium-polymer rechargeable batteries and include
high-accuracy voltage detectors and delay circuits.
These ICs are suitable for protecting 2-cell rechargeable
lithium-ion/lithium-polymer battery packs from overcharge,
overdischarge, and overcurrent.
(1) High-accuracy voltage detection for each cell
• Overcharge detection voltage n (n = 1, 2)
• Overcharge release voltage n (n = 1, 2)
3.9 V to 4.4 V (50 mV steps) Accuracy ±25 mV
3.8 V to 4.4 V*1
Accuracy ±50 mV
*1. Overcharge release voltage = Overcharge detection voltage − Overcharge hysteresis voltage
(Overcharge hysteresis voltage n (n = 1, 2) can be selected as 0 V or from a range of 0.1 V to
0.4 V in 50 mV steps.)
• Overdischarge detection voltage n (n = 1, 2)
• Overdischarge release voltage n (n = 1, 2)
2.0 V to 3.0 V (100 mV steps) Accuracy ±50 mV
2.0 V to 3.4 V*2
Accuracy ±100 mV
*2. Overdischarge release voltage = Overdischarge detection voltage + Overdischarge hysteresis
(Overdischarge hysteresis voltage n (n = 1, 2) can be selected as 0 V or from a range of 0.1 V to
0.7 V in 100 mV steps.)
(2) Two-level overcurrent detection (overcurrent 1, overcurrent 2)
• Overcurrent detection voltage 1
0.05 V to 0.30 V (50 mV steps) Accuracy ±15 mV
• Overcurrent detection voltage 2
1.2 V (fixed)
Accuracy ±300 mV
(3) Delay times (overcharge, overdischarge, overcurrent) are generated by an internal circuit (external
capacitors are unnecessary).
(4) 0 V battery charge function available/unavailable are selectable.
(5) Charger detection function and abnormal charge current detection function
• The overdischarge hysteresis is released by detecting negative voltage at the VM pin (−0.7 V typ.).
(Charger detection function)
• When the output voltage of the DO pin is high and the voltage at the VM pin is equal to or lower than
the charger detection voltage (−0.7 V typ.), the output voltage of the CO pin goes low. (Abnormal
charge current detection function)
(6) High-withstanding-voltage devices
Absolute maximum rating: 28 V
(7) Wide operating temperature range
−40°C to +85 °C
(8) Low current consumption
• Operation mode
10 µA max. (+25°C)
• Power-down mode
0.1 µA max. (+25°C)
(9) Small package
SOT-23-6W, 6-Pin SNB(B)
• Lithium-ion rechargeable battery packs
• Lithium-polymer rechargeable battery packs
• SOT-23-6W (PKG drawing code: MP006-B)
• 6-Pin SNB(B) (PKG drawing code: BD006-A)
Seiko Instruments Inc.
BATTERY PROTECTION IC FOR 2-SERIAL-CELL PACK
Delay circuit, controller,
0 V battery charge/
charge inhibition circuit
Remark The diodes in the block diagram are parasitic diodes.
Figure 1 Block Diagram
2 Seiko Instruments Inc.