CRT Controller. UPD3301-2 Datasheet
NEe Microcomputers, Inc.
PROGRAMMABLE CRT CONTROLLER
DESC RIPT ION
The IlPD3301 is an LSI chip designed for use in CRT controllers. It contains a synchronous signal
generator. row buffer. and attribute memory. This CRT controller is capable of handling not only
black and white CRT. but also color CRT. The IlPD3301 provides control signals which simplify
the design of the external circuitry needed in the systems. Thus, this device is a versatile controller
that relieves the main CPU (and users) of many of the control burdens associated with imple-
menting a CRT interface.
There are 8 separate commands which the IlPD3301 will execute. Some of these commands require
multiple bytes to fully specify the operation which the processor wishes the CRT controller to
perform. The following commands ore available:
• SET INTERRUPT MASK
• RESET INTERRUPT
• STOP DISPLAY
• READ LIGHT PEN
• RESET COUNTERS
• START DISPLAY
• LOAD CURSOR POSITION
• Programmable Screen and Character Format Capabilities;
-. Characters per Row (up to 80 characters/row)
- Lines per Character (up to 32 lines/character}
- Rows per Frame (up to 64 rows/frame)
- Horizontal Retrace Time
- Vertical Retrace Time
- Blinking Time
- DMA Control Mode
- Cursor Control Mode
• Three Independent Visual Field Attribute Modes such as;
- Transparent Attribute Color Mode
- Transparent Attribute Black and White Mode
- Non·Transparent Attribute Black and White Mode
• 12 Independent Field Attribute Functions such as;
- Vertical Line
- General Purpose
- Reverse Video
- General Purpose Color
• Light Pen Detection
• Maximum 256 Different Characters Control Capability
• Fully Bus Compatible with 8080
• 3 MHz Single Clock Input
• Single Power Supply. +5V N-MOS Technology
• Available in 40 pin Plastic and Ceramic Dual-In-Line Packages
Address Bus 0
Data Bus 0 II> 7
Character Copes 0 to 7
General Purpose Attribute
Slit Line 12
Line Counter 0 to 3
Slit Line 0
LIGHT PEN REGISTER
Counts the characters in a row, up to the number of the characters defined in Characters/Row,
Consists of a dual RAM buffer. Each buffer can store up to 80 characters. During a DMA opera-
tion, the characters are written into the Row Buffer. One of the buffers is used for display.
Each character in the buffer is read with Character Clock (C ClKl, and the data appears in CCO_7.
At the same time, the data on the next row is written into another buffer by DMA control.
Buffer Input/Output Controller
• Writes the characters into the Row Buffer, up to the number defined by Characters/Row.
• Outputs the data from the Row Buffer to CCO-7.
• Writes the attributes and special control character codes in"to the FIFO, up to the number
defined by Attributes/Row.
• Reads the attribute codes from the FIFO and transfers them to the video circuit.
• In case of Non~Transparent Attribute Mode, it distinguishes an ordinary character code from an
attribute code among the character data read from the Row Buffer.
FIFO (F irst Input, First Outputl
Consists of a dual RAM buffer. Each buffer can store up to 20 characters. By DMA operation,
attribute codes and special control characters are written into the FIFO. One of the buffers is used
for display. Whenever the read flag bit for FIFO is detected, an attribute code is read and
transferred to the video circuit. And at the same time, the attribute codes in the next row are written
into the rest of the buffers (another buffer) by DMA operation.
Counts the events of Rasters/Line, up to the number indicated by Lines/Character.
Raster Timing and Video Control
• Outputs the HRTe based on the Character Counter during the time indicated by Horizontal
• Outputs the VATe based on Row Counter which counts up the contents, row by row, during
the time indicated by Vertical Retrace Time.
• Outputs HLGT, RVV, VSP, SLO, SL12, GPA based on attribute codes transferred from the
Buffer Output Controller.
• Outputs the CSA based on the Blinking Time etc. at the position indicated by Cursor Address.
Light Pen Register
Memorizes a row address and column address when the L PEN signal is input. By using READ
LIGHT PEN instruction, the CPU can read the contents.
All Output Voltages
All Input Voltages
Supply Voltage VCC .
.0°c to +70°C
-65' C to +125° C
· -0.5 to +7 Volts
· -0.5 to +7 Volts
· -0.5 to +7 Volts
COMMENT: Stress above those listed under "Absolute Maximum Ratings" may cause permanent
damage to the device. This is a stress rating only and functional operation of the device at these or
any other conditions above those indicated in the operational sections of this specification is not
implied. Exposure to absolute maximum rating conditions for extended periods may affect device
'Ta = 25'C
DC CHARACTE RISTICS
Ta = o°c to +70°C; VCC = +5V ± 5%
Input Low Voltage
Input High Voltage
Output Low Voltage
Output High Voltage
Low Level Input Leakage
High Level I nput Leakage
Low Level Output Leakage
High Level Output Leakage
Power Supply Current
MIN TYP MAX
2.2 VCC + 0.5 V
V IOL - 1.6 rnA
V DBO-7:IOH - -150 !lA,
All Others: -80 !lA
-10 ilA VIN =O.v
+10 !lA VIN ~ VCC
-10 ilA VOUT = OV
+10 ilA VOUT - VCC
I nput Capacitance
UNIT TEST CONDITIONS
fc; 1 MHz,
pF All Pins Except Pin
pF Under Test Tied to