Automotive DMOS Microstepping Driver with Translator
Features and Benefits
▪ Typical application up to ±1 A, 35 V output rating
▪ Low RDS(ON) outputs, 0.67 Ω source, 0.54 Ω sink typical
▪ Automatic current decay mode detection/selection
▪ 3.0 V to 5.5 V logic supply voltage range
▪ Mixed, fast, and slow current decay modes
▪ Synchronous rectification for low power dissipation
▪ Internal OVLO, UVLO, and thermal shutdown circuitry
▪ Crossover current protection
▪ Short to supply/ground and short/low load current
Package: 28 pin TSSOP with exposed
thermal pad (suffix LP)
The A3980 is a complete microstepping motor driver with
built-in translator for easy operation. It is designed to operate
bipolar stepper motors in full-, half-, eighth-, and sixteenth-
step modes, at up to 35 V and ±1 A. The A3980 includes a
fixed off-time current regulator which has the ability to operate
in slow, fast, or mixed decay modes. This results in reduced
audible motor noise, increased step accuracy, and reduced
The translator is the key to the easy implementation of the
A3980. Simply inputting one pulse on the step input drives
the motor one microstep. There are no phase sequence tables,
high frequency control lines, or complex interfaces to program.
The A3980 interface is an ideal fit for applications where a
complex μP is unavailable or overburdened.
Internal synchronous rectification control circuitry is provided
to improve power dissipation during PWM operation.
Internal circuit protection includes: thermal shutdown with
hysteresis, overvoltage lockout (OVLO), undervoltage lockout
(UVLO), and crossover current protection. Special power-up
sequencing is not required. In addition, two diagnostic fault flags
provide indication of shorts or opens on the motor windings.
The A3980 is supplied in a low-profile (1.1 mm) 28L TSSOP
with exposed thermal pad. This device is lead (Pb) free, with
100% matte tin leadframe plating.